Berbatov Hat-Trick Edges United Pass Liverpool

One of the most anticipated fixtures in English football every season is Manchester United vs Liverpool FC. In the latest installment of this battle United took on their feircest rivals at Old Trafford today.

United started off the match defending the famous Stretford End and immediately started on the front foot pinning Liverpool back in their half of the field. The Reds’ were basically doing all the attacking while Liverpool weathered the storm. United had nearly took the lead on a few occasion when Nani got free in the box after a Rooney deflected shot but elected to pass the ball across the goal instead of slotting it home.

42 minutes into a clearly dominated first half by United they got the breakthrough when Dimitar Berbatov headed home a Ryan Giggs corner in a stooping position while being held by Fernando Torres and despite Paul Konchesky trying to prevent the ball from going in with his hand. United went into the half with a deserved 1-0 lead.

The second half started off fairly slow as Liverpool were just passing the ball around the pitch but when United got possession that all changed ad they passed the ball around with much more purpose than their counterparts. The Reds’ started creating chances and Berbatov almost grabbed a second after Darren Fletcher took a shot that got deflected and went over the Liverpool defense to the unmarked Bulgarian but he only managed to kick the ball onto and onrushing Pepe Reina.

Moments later John O’Shea played a ball to an open Nani who hit a thundering shot that rattled the crossbar, The Reds’ kept pressing for a second and were rewarded when Fletcher picked out Nani with a wonderful cross field pass which the Portuguese midfielder controlled and played in a cross which went over the head on Rooney but fell kindly to Berbatov who took it on his thigh and scored what is arguably the goal of the season so far with a bicycle kick in the 59th minute.

With a two goal lead and Liverpool looking very poor on the day the points seemed to be wrapped up but that wasn’t the case. Five minutes later Liverpool went on the attack and got a lifeline when Jonny Evans took down Fernando Torres with a clumsy challenge in the penalty leaving Howard Webb no choice but to call a penalty. Up stepped Steven Gerrard who scored the penalty by sending Van Der Sar the wrong way.

Gerrard wasn’t finished and was on the score sheet once again when John O’Shea was positioned improperly and was forced to drag dwon Torres to deny him breaking through on goal. O’Shea received just a caution even though he was the last defender, Van Der Sar would have gotten to the ball easily if Torres had broken through clearly thus the reason for him only receiving a yellow card caution.

United looked to have for a second week running allowed a two goal lead to slip away from them by giving up two late goals but that wasn’t the case, with six minutes of normal time left United picked themselves up and went on the attack to restore their lead and did just that when O’Shea played n a lovely cross and Berbatov out jumped Jamie Carragher and headed home the game winning goal to the delight of Uniteds fans around the world.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s